The Liberty Godparent Home (LGH) also offers a variety of Case management Services, including
Individual Service Planning (ISP), counseling services, psychiatric/psychological services…
as needed, and medical, educational and recreational services.Counseling services are provided on an individual and group basis. Weekly group sessions explore household dynamics, interpersonal relationships, personal goals, etc.
Each resident will participate in different classes that will help them move towards independent living skills. The following is a list of classes that are required for every resident to participate in:
- Parenting Class – Different stages of development will be discussed as well as many other pertinent issues that new moms need to know. They will also do many hands-on activities such as diaper changing, bathing a baby, etc. Around the 30th week of pregnancy, each resident will be given a Reality-Works Doll to explore the responsibilities of being a mom.
- Adoption Class (provided by Family Life Services) – During this class residents will have the opportunity to explore the process of adoption, the legalities of making an adoption plan, expectations, communication with an adoptive family, etc.
- Life Skills Training – Each young woman receives training in the areas of cooking, cleaning, managing a home environment, creating a budget, as well as many other topics. These skills are taught in a class format and also in a practical way, as each resident is responsible for assigned chores in the home.
- Spiritual Growth and Development – We encourage and provide times for devotions led by the Houseparent and guest speakers. Residents also regularly attend services at Thomas Road Baptist Church.
- Nutrition Education – Each resident will learn the importance of healthy eating, portion sizes, food groups, and menu planning.
- Prenatal Class – During this class, each expectant mother will learn about fetal growth and development as well as the stages of labor. As the pregnancy progresses, each resident will be paired with a volunteer to walk her through Lamaze class and the birthing experience.
- Fitness and Exercise – We enjoy daily walking and exercise. Weekly water-aerobics class will be offered for those comfortable with swimming in our indoor pool.
- Outside Activities – There are many opportunities for residents to experience components of life outside of the Home.