Each resident will participate in different classes that will help them move towards independent living skills. The following is a list of classes that are required for every resident to participate in:
- Parenting Class – Different stages of development will be discussed as well as many other pertinent issues that new moms need to know. They will also do many hands-on activities such as diaper changing, bathing a baby, etc. Around the 30th week of pregnancy, each resident will be given a Reality-Works Doll to explore the responsibilities of being a mom.
- Adoption Class (provided by Family Life Services) – During this class residents will have the opportunity to explore the process of adoption, the legalities of making an adoption plan, expectations, communication with an adoptive family, etc.
- Life Skills Training – Each young woman receives training in the areas of cooking, cleaning, managing a home environment, creating a budget, as well as many other topics. These skills are taught in a class format and also in a practical way, as each resident is responsible for assigned chores in the home.
- Spiritual Growth and Development – We encourage and provide times for devotions led by the Houseparent and guest speakers. Residents also regularly attend services at Thomas Road Baptist Church.
- Nutrition Education – Each resident will learn the importance of healthy eating, portion sizes, food groups, and menu planning.
- Prenatal Class – During this class, each expectant mother will learn about fetal growth and development as well as the stages of labor. As the pregnancy progresses, each resident will be paired with a volunteer to walk her through Lamaze class and the birthing experience.
- Fitness and Exercise – We enjoy daily walking and exercise. Weekly water-aerobics class will be offered for those comfortable with swimming in our indoor pool.
- Outside Activities – There are many opportunities for residents to experience components of life outside of the Home.